The raffle bike is done!
Corey deserves a ton of credit for the work that he has done on the raffle bike (and for providing the bike!), but there have been a lot of other hands on the bike this year as well.
This is Shawn. He’s filing the exhaust flange to make sure that it’s flat and fits well with the cylinder.
Shawn is going to be welcoming people at the rally next weekend, taking care of registration, collecting waivers, and distributing raffle tickets to those of you who took advantage of the early bird registration. Be sure to say hello when you get in on Friday. He’ll be one of the volunteers wearing a bright orange t-shirt.
Shawn is also an excellent juggler. If you see him lighting things on fire, don’t panic, he knows what he’s doing (but maybe stand back a few feet).
There are a few steps to refitting a rear hub. Once you have the shim in place, you fit the hub, then a wavy washer and your hub nut. It starts to get a little tricky here. The hub nut has to be torqued to between 110-120 lbs-ft on this bike and of course as you’re tightening it the hub wants to turn.
You can see in the photo below that Corey has built himself a tool to hold the hub still. It started out as standard lambretta wheel. This one had seen better days and was never going to be used on a bike again. Corey took the rim and welded a bar to it. When this wheel is put on the hub, the metal bar hits the case and prevents the hub from spinning.
With this tool, the rest is easy. Torque the nut to 110, then put the locking plate on. If you’re lucky the locking plate will line up and you’ll be able to screw it on. Most likely you’ll have to tighten the hub nut a little bit more to line up the locking plate.
It’s good to have friends with tools!
If you’ve been following this blog, you’ll know that the bike is already running. There are still however a bunch of photos of how we got there. These will be interesting to you if you plan on winning this bike next weekend.
We mixed up some J-B Weld to get this job done. It’s a 2 part epoxy that can be used for metal repair. It can be shaped, sanded, tapped, drilled etc. It’s pretty useful stuff.
With a stud in the original location, we filled the hole that was left with the J-B Weld and let it cure. Once that finished, we had case that was ready to reassembled.
It is alive.
Wheels, hubs, tubes and tires. Cleaned up, painted and reinstalled.
Thanks to Scooters Originali for the great tubes. With an offset 90 degree stem, installation was a breeze.
The sticker says it all. This bike has been around the block a few times and it was showing its age. The original paint is still there and it’s in pretty good shape. Since it’s only original once, we set put in some work trying to save it.
Elbow grease and some steel wool can remove surface rust. In the photo above you can see the before and after of this effort.
And after the work is complete, the entire leg shield is looking great and it’s ready to be remounted on the frame.
The floorboards had to be repainted. They’re also ready to be installed on the bike now.
When you’re rebuilding an old bike you spend a lot time cleaning. A big bucket of Evapo-Rust and a couple of friends like Adam and Shawn are what you need to get the job done. On the left you can see an assortment of bits and pieces that needed to be cleaned. On the right the front fender is soaking to make the clean up easy.
And these are the happy helpers!
Corey is liquidating. Special prices available on a few bikes. Head on over to the Curd Rally Facebook event page for details.
There are still a couple days left of early-bird registration as well. Get in by the end of the month and pick up a free patch and few free raffle tickets.