Corey’s using the raffle scooter to wake everyone up. The horn works!
The rally starts tomorrow. We’re all very busy in Ottawa trying to get set up and organized so that the rally runs smoothly once everyone starts arriving at the campground tomorrow afternoon.
We are still working hard to make this the best rally ever as well.
Barnstormer Studio has come on board as a sponsor this week and they’ve donated some prizes to the raffle.
We also have Andrew Alexander coming out on Saturday night to take some photos of the rally. We have a great group ride planned this year, and the weather is going to be perfect so there’s no doubt that everyone will be smiling on Saturday night.
There are a few steps to refitting a rear hub. Once you have the shim in place, you fit the hub, then a wavy washer and your hub nut. It starts to get a little tricky here. The hub nut has to be torqued to between 110-120 lbs-ft on this bike and of course as you’re tightening it the hub wants to turn.
You can see in the photo below that Corey has built himself a tool to hold the hub still. It started out as standard lambretta wheel. This one had seen better days and was never going to be used on a bike again. Corey took the rim and welded a bar to it. When this wheel is put on the hub, the metal bar hits the case and prevents the hub from spinning.
With this tool, the rest is easy. Torque the nut to 110, then put the locking plate on. If you’re lucky the locking plate will line up and you’ll be able to screw it on. Most likely you’ll have to tighten the hub nut a little bit more to line up the locking plate.
It’s good to have friends with tools!
If you’ve been following this blog, you’ll know that the bike is already running. There are still however a bunch of photos of how we got there. These will be interesting to you if you plan on winning this bike next weekend.
We mixed up some J-B Weld to get this job done. It’s a 2 part epoxy that can be used for metal repair. It can be shaped, sanded, tapped, drilled etc. It’s pretty useful stuff.
With a stud in the original location, we filled the hole that was left with the J-B Weld and let it cure. Once that finished, we had case that was ready to reassembled.
It is alive.
Wheels, hubs, tubes and tires. Cleaned up, painted and reinstalled.
Thanks to Scooters Originali for the great tubes. With an offset 90 degree stem, installation was a breeze.
The sticker says it all. This bike has been around the block a few times and it was showing its age. The original paint is still there and it’s in pretty good shape. Since it’s only original once, we set put in some work trying to save it.
Elbow grease and some steel wool can remove surface rust. In the photo above you can see the before and after of this effort.
And after the work is complete, the entire leg shield is looking great and it’s ready to be remounted on the frame.
The floorboards had to be repainted. They’re also ready to be installed on the bike now.
When you’re rebuilding an old bike you spend a lot time cleaning. A big bucket of Evapo-Rust and a couple of friends like Adam and Shawn are what you need to get the job done. On the left you can see an assortment of bits and pieces that needed to be cleaned. On the right the front fender is soaking to make the clean up easy.
And these are the happy helpers!
Another friendly reminder, early bird registration is over at the end of Thursday.
Register today and get the extra raffle tickets and a free patch.